Thursday, February 7, 2019

In Conversation with Sujay Malik :)

Hi Sujay,

Hope this finds you in good spirits!

It’s a pleasure to take your interview today. So let’s start:

Sujay Malik candidly talks about himself: "Well, in all fairness, you can call me a brooder, a dreamer, a story-teller, a guy next door, a professional, a husband, a son, a son-in-law, a friend; all rolled into one."

He is a Chartered Accountant and also has a degree in law and commerce. He works with Bharti Axa General Insurance Company Limited as a Senior Manager - Underwriting. As he is quite passionate about writing and story-telling, it prompted him to pursue his interest more seriously. His love for books is not too old but pretty firm, but his love for writing dates back to the time when he was in school.

He loves to be alone at times and at other times he likes the company of my loved ones around him. He can be moody but he is quite actively passive that way - active in the mind and passive by appearance. You might feel that he is almost non-reactive by nature but that’s just how he looks. He is deeply affected by what goes on around him and he chooses to talk about all of that through his stories.

His first book Different Beads of the Same String was a collection of 10 short stories depicting human emotions from various fragments of life. The Sameness in a Consistent Change is his second book.

Here, he lets his readers know a little more about himself and his journey so far. Ladies and Gentlemen, I bring to you Sujay Malik:


1. Tell us something about you that only people close to you know.

Sujay: Well, first of all, thank you for this interview. It is a pleasure doing this.
One thing is that I am scared of driving. I don’t drive. Well, it’s a secret no more, now that I have revealed it. :)

2. How does it feel to be a published writer? Has it changed you in any way? How do you handle fame?

Sujay: Life continues to be the same. The good words from the readers do give a feel-good factor but that only means you have to reach out to your desk and create some more genuine and good stories. It was a cherished dream to be a published writer and now that it has been achieved, it only enhances my dreams of continuing the process year on year.

I don’t think it has changed me in any way but you could say that it has made me more aware of what I want to do with my writing career. In that sense, it has made me more focused and responsible because now I am not writing just for myself.

And as far as fame is concerned I won’t mind more of it coming my way. Not sure how I’ll handle it though, but right now I am not thinking about it. :)

3. Have you always wanted to be a writer?

Sujay: To be honest, I always had a skew towards writing, from my schooling days. The written word, in any form, be it a poem, story, essay, comic strip, fascinated me. I was always an introvert and writing was my release. It continues even today. I started by writing essays, then moved onto poems and four-liners. I loved the idea of telling a thing in as less words as possible. Slowly I graduated into writing short stories. It gave me immense high and I realised I was decent at it. I would definitely like to hone my craft further and I am working on that.

After completing my education and getting into a work life I realised that I could try and give my hobby a much more meaningful shape. That’s where I decided that even if I am half decent as what my friends and family gave me credit for, I could try and get my stories out to the world to read. And that’s how Different Beads of the Same String happened. After a bit of hiatus, now I have come up with my new book The Sameness in a Consistent Change. Hopefully, the next one will not take as long as this one took.

4. Tell us something about your book, The Sameness in a Consistent Change. How did the idea of the book shaped up in your mind?

Sujay: Well, it wouldn’t be wrong to say that I tried to challenge myself with The Sameness in a Consistent Change. I have literally taken the risk and tried to change my writing style and storytelling abilities. I understand that this style may not be relatable to all the readers and some might feel that there may be an issue with the pace of the story. But this was a risk I was willing to take to try and evolve as a writer. I do not know how successful I have been at it, but it sure gives me joy when my readers reach out and tell me that they saw a noticeable change in the manner in which my second book is written and they enjoyed it. And it pleases me while accepting the fact that this style may not be liked by everyone. But as I said it was a risk I was willing to take.

It makes me happy to know that readers have felt a more nuanced form of writing where story and characters both have been sketched and brought to life in a different way.

This is very close to my heart and I would like to scale upwards for my next one as well. This learning process is intriguing and I love it. And hopefully better myself, in my third one.

The protagonist is Ramanuj, around who the story revolves. You know, it has always intrigued me when I look at the kind of people we are surrounded with. If you look at it, we can broadly classify them into two categories. We are filled with people who know exactly what they want to do and then there are others who are vice versa. In fact, so many of them out there cruise through their lives not knowing what they want out of it. And before they realise it, the imminent end is near.

And so, Ramanuj is a confused boy as well. But he is happily confused. He does not know what he wants, is an indifferent hopeless and is not bothered about it. That’s who he is, in essence. And then when a drastic event happens you would think that it would prompt a change just like we have been brought up believing thus. But human nature is a mysterious enigma. A drastic event may suggest a change but may eventually not cause it.

Ramanuj deals with the pangs in his own way. Lethargy and slowness is a trait he has imbibed and he deals with the drastic change in his life in his own languid manner. The impact of the grief is uniform across personalities but people have their own way to deal with that. And Ramanuj, the core introvert does it in his own style. He loves, but his love is different. It doesn’t lack the passion and pureness, just the expressiveness. In elation of love and even in heartbreak his outward manifestation is similar. This character is very close to my heart and I just wonder how many of them live their life on their own terms and how many live it because they are dictated by extraneous circumstances.

5. How do you envision your book will impact your readers?

Sujay: I wish that it reaches out to the readers and what they can get out of it is what a reader derives from any good book. A character that is relatable, a story that is interesting and finally a reading experience that is worth the reader’s time. As I said earlier, I hope I have honed myself as a writer with this one. I do believe I have, but some of my readers may not agree, which is quite acceptable.

But on the whole, I am satisfied with what I have done with my second and I would like the process to simply continue. I do hope a lot of readers buy my book and it is worth every penny for them.

If they find the story and the character relatable, it would have achieved my purpose of writing the story.

6. Briefly tell us about your earlier writings and the subjects that interest you.

Sujay: My first book, Different Beads of the Same String is a collection of 10 short stories. Each story has something different to offer and is spun around different territories and issues. It is inspired from what we see around ourselves and the stories will definitely appeal to the readers. The stories also explore various facets of human behaviour, emotions, and characteristics.

I have always believed that stories are nothing but a reflection of lives and times that we live in. This world is nothing but a fragmented collection of tiny stories just put together. I believe I have always had a strong observational streak in me. When I looked around me there was so much that I saw. I have always believed in the power of writing.

You will see various emotions being reflected in all my stories. The inspiration for each of them comes from situations existing around us. And I have tried to capture each one of them as objectively and neutrally as I could. I am sure the reader will be able to identify with not just the characters in each story but the story itself.

I do write a lot of four liners in Hindi and poems as well. Most of my stories will reflect the societal norms and things that tag along with it. In fact, Dr. Yusuf Merchant, who was gracious enough to launch my first book mentioned that it could have created a genre called ‘Societal Conscientious’ or ‘Social Fiction’. Somehow that has stayed with me and I am grateful he had such good things to say about it.

7. Share some of your interesting memories you lived while writing The Sameness in a Consistent Change.

Sujay: With a day job in place, all the writing usually happens at night or weekends. And trust me, it does get difficult. However, the only thing that gets you going then is your interest in the subject matter. Otherwise, it will only become a chore.

I have lived the characters and lived the story myself. It almost feels I have gone through the emotions of the characters and the situations they found themselves in. In fact, there was a night when I was trying to complete a chapter and didn’t realise that I kept writing for quite a long time. When I glanced around it was already touching 3:30 a.m. and it surprised me. But those are the moments you eventually remember.

I also recall that I was trying to find good content towards the middle of the story and it kept my thinking cap working overtime. I remember my wife had gone shopping that day when an idea struck me and I just called her to tell what I was going to write in the middle of my story. She sounded surprised, confused and slightly indifferent. But that’s how much it meant to me. It brings a chuckle when we think of it today, to both, mine and my wife’s faces.

8. What or who was your biggest inspiration behind this book?

Sujay: For most of my stories, my biggest inspiration comes from things happening around us or people grappling with situations they are confronted it. Which is why I believe in carving out characters that appear real, because fiction, to me, is, after all, an extension of reality isn’t it!

9. How did you make sure the information used in the book is accurate and up-to-date?

Sujay: Well, it didn’t matter much because at the end of the day it was fiction and I was telling a story which did not involve too many factual things.

10. What’s the biggest mistake new writers make according to you?

Sujay: I am still developing my own self, but if I have to still answer that, I think a lot of them are merely trying to join the bandwagon and writing stories that are already told a million times. Literature is not just Romance, and heartbreak in college doesn’t necessarily make you a writer. It is an art which has to be honed and practiced. I am trying to do so. But a lot of them out there do not understand the nuances that go into it. The formula has worked for some but may not work for everyone.


11. How do you feel when someone disagrees with something you say or have written?

Sujay: Well, there are two kinds of critiques, one where they genuinely point out what they did not like which is a good thing to have. The other kind is the bunch which just wants to put your book down because of some reason or the other. And that is why when someone disagrees just for the pleasure of it, I choose not to react. In fact, it is best not to react. It is better to reach out to people who do have genuine criticism to offer because they offer it without any malice.

I also feel that there is this tendency these days to read as many books as possible in a very short time. What that does is that sometimes it leads to readers simply reading through a book without getting into the depths of what the author is trying to convey. Which is why the message, the book tries to convey, sometimes gets lost in the bargain. While it is good to read lots of books, when reading a book the intent should be to assimilate and not just to complete it. However, the responsibility here is slightly split between readers and writers. The writers must be able to hold the reader’s attention while a reader must offer enough attention if the book is warranting it.

So the long and short of it is that you must give attention to those critiques who deserve it. Who deserves it, is a question of fact and the gut will tell you after a point in time.

12. What is your least favourite part of the writing process? What is your biggest strength when it comes to writing?

Sujay: I think the least favourite part of writing is the editing. I ensure I go through the final manuscript at least four times before having another set of eyes look at it. It is an arduous process but a very important one too.

As far as strength is concerned, I think my observation of things has to be it. I like to be very honest about my writing too and trust me it helps because I don’t want to lose the very reason for which I started writing in the first place.

13. How did you decide the characters and the settings for this book?

Sujay: Well, as I said, stories are around us. In fact, I have said this earlier too, that the world is nothing but a collection of stories just put together. My stories and characters are built around what I see around me. If that creates an idea good enough to develop then I try and ensure a story would pop out of it.

14. What are some things you like to do when you’re not writing?

Sujay: I love going for walks. I am an ardent cricket fan and like to indulge in a match on television every now and then. Reading is also a habit that I have ventured deep into. In fact, that’s what I always do when I am commuting. And finally, I like going out and trying the food at various restaurants. My wife is also a foodie like me and we complement each other well there. And once in a while, we like to catch up on movies as well.

15. Tell us something about your future projects. Are you writing anything at the moment?

Sujay: Well right now I am too caught up promoting my current book, but there is a distorted idea of a story brewing in my mind. Hopefully, I will start working on it pretty soon.

16. What do you think about the writing industry these days? Do you think becoming a full-time writer is an advisable option?

Sujay: Indeed it is. But patience is a very good virtue to have. It is an industry where your time may come tomorrow or even years later. But you have to keep at it. Churn out stories and work consistently and honestly.

17. Any tips for budding writers?

Sujay: It’s a simple mantra. You have to try and evolve with whatever you are doing. So hone your skills, understand your strengths and work on your weaknesses. But do not be scared to take risks. It may or may not pay you well, but you would have definitely come out enriched.

And keep reading and writing. It will hold you in good stead.

18. What are the roles of an editor and a reviewer in the success of book according to you?

Sujay: Immensely important. An editor is like an anchor. He/ She shapes your book and gives it the correct form. And reviewers, if they are genuine go a long way in spreading a word about your book. At the end of the day, it is the word or mouth that works.

19. How does it feel to be interviewed by me? *basically the interviewer wishes to hear praises* *haha*

Sujay: Oh brilliant! I loved it *Basically, I am sure you wanted me to say something along these lines* haha*

But seriously it was great. I loved the bit of a personal touch that you bring along with your questions. And while answering a lot of them I discovered a few answers myself. Isn’t that interesting!

20. Anything that you would like to tell us? Your favourite writers? Your hobbies? Or just some sneaky peaky details?

Sujay: I love so many writers' work. Rohinton Mistry, Khushwant Singh, Ruskin Bond, Aravind Adiga, Jhumpa Lahiri, R.K. Narayan, Ashwin Sanghi and so many more.

I am an ardent admirer of Harsha Bhogle, Sachin Tendulkar, Anil Kumble and Rahul Dravid as well.

On sneaky peaky details I actually do not have much to share. Probably I’ve been a boring person all through. Ah! So I will keep it at that.

Wow! So we have come to an end of this awesome session.


Description

The wheel of time is a fascinating force. Sometimes it seems to only crawl along, while at other times it simply hustles. And when you tend to look behind, you expect that most puzzles would fall in place. But do they eventually?
Ramanuj, a village boy is confused about most things. He shares a strange rapport with his father, who, despite financial issues doesn’t stall his education. But Ramanuj has no idea what to do with himself.
Then one day things change and change permanently. There is no looking back from this bend; there cannot be. He meets Mr. Shrirangpure, through a chance meeting in a hospital through his daughter Pallavi. Something prompts him to appear more ambitious than he would like to have been.
Impoverished and submissive, he manages to rise above the shackles with time, even though everything is still stuck to his past. But now he cannot get back. He doesn’t want to. Until a revelation, prompts him to go back to his roots again. To the same tree, with which he shares a bond; to the drain water, with which he has shared many a memory; and to the same surrounding, which formed his core once.
This is a story of a boy who tried to end his life once. He loved as well and tried to rise to a level to become worthy of it. A boy, whose journey is all about mostly looking back.
The Sameness in a Consistent Change is a story of this interesting journey. A journey, devoid of a destination, perhaps. But the fun, sometimes, lies only in the journey.

Buying Link: Amazon

Readers, let’s be kind to the writer and buy the book soon. Do share your feedback with me once you read The Sameness in a Consistent Change.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

badge