Saturday, May 27, 2017

Quarter Life Crisis - Book Review


Quarter Life Crisis
By Anshuk Attri
Review By Ila Garg


Quarter Life Crisis, a novel by Anshuk Attri, is published by Maple Press. The cover shows a couple in a cage and a couple talking under a tree. Interestingly, these two images are put in dialog bubbles. With an interesting title, which every teenager would connect with, and a cover so different, I am sure readers would be intrigued to flip through the pages.

Anshuk is a twenty-six year old aspiring author with a postgraduate degree in Aerospace Engineering from the Technical University of Catalonia, Spain. Inspired by the works of Mark Twain, Charles Dickens, George Eliot, George Orwell and Seneca, he hopes to find his place in the world of literature as a professional writer.

The blurb reads as, “I am Prachur, a twenty-three year old guy from Shimla and I want to tell you my story. I don’t claim that my life is particularly worth reading, especially the first twenty-one years. But things did become interesting by the time I came to finish my degree in engineering. At the time I was like every other guy of my age — pretentious and clueless about my future. I loathed the very idea of a mundane job. I felt that my lack of clarity about my future was my biggest problem. Imagine what I felt when I found out that Neera, my girlfriend, was pregnant! Quarter life Crisis is the story of my coming of age and my quest for happiness.

Quarter Life Crisis is a story about a guy named Prachur who is twenty-three and hails from Shimla. Prachur completed his engineering degree but he is still clueless about his future like most of the teenagers are. The idea of getting into mundane jobs despised him. On top of it, he impregnated his girlfriend, Neera.

Both Prachur and Neera were in love and so it happened. However, in India we still see this as a taboo. The characterisation is nicely done by the author. The way he sketched Prachur and Neera is great as one can actually see them as real. In fact, Prachur’s sister, Innaya too is given a good space in the plot. So much so that the readers might actually end up appreciating her existence.

I didn’t much like the story as it is already exploited to a great extent by other authors. The plot thus has no originality, however the only USP lies in the characterisation. The descriptions in the book are quite realistic and therefore the readers will feel very much connected to the events. The language is simple and easy to comprehend.

Who is Prachur, who is Neera, how does their childhood friendship blossomed into a love affair, how Prachur’s carefree nature and Neera’s youthfulness led them to do something they shouldn’t have, how their parents react on their relationship are some of the many reasons why you will keep turning the pages to find out what happens in Quarter Life Crisis.

Further, this 304-page book is a quick read and can be a good travel partner.

Ratings: 3/5
Buying Link: Amazon

This (Unbiased) book review is a part of "The Readers Cosmos Book Review Program". To get free books log on to thereaderscosmos.blogspot.com. Thanks Nimi Vashi for giving me the opportunity to read such a nice book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

badge