Saturday, October 1, 2016

Rendezvous with Aparna Sinha :)



Hi Aparna Sinha,

Hope this finds you in good spirits!

It’s a pleasure to take your interview today. So let’s start:

1. Tell us something about yourself.

Aparna: Born and raised in city of Allahabad, by academician father (his book has won the national award) and writer mother; I was always a dreamer and always a story teller. After graduating, I did my MBA and became a marketing professional. The book happened when I was hit by chronic autoimmune disorder, which forced me to quit my job; while the world/society felt sorry for me for losing my perfect skin to a disease, which may or may not cure, I used the time to write the novel. I recuperated as the book finished. Even though my body still carries marks of that illness, but it doesn’t remind me of pain and sleepless nights; it has made me strong and I thank god for that!
Now, I am a mother of an 8 month old boy and I love every bit of motherhood.


2. How does it feel to be a published writer? Do you think it has changed you in any way?

Aparna: Seeing my name on the cover of a book was dream come true. I was overwhelmed, ecstatic, even proud, on cloud nine, and then back to where I belong.
No, it has not changed me as a person.

3. Have you always wanted to be a writer?

Aparna:
Yes. Always.

4. Tell us something about your book. How did the idea for this book shaped up in your mind?

Aparna:
My husband and I were discussing on “power of power” over a dinner date, when the idea came in his mind, which clicked. Two years after the discussion, I wrote a whole story around his idea.

5. Tell us about your journey from being a 7-year-old poet to an author. What or who inspired you to write?

Aparna:
Like I said, I always wanted to write and I have experimented with all sorts of writing styles, from poems, to plays, to prose, stories, articles, even graphic. :)
I am a voracious reader; thanks to huge collection of books in my house, I had access to great literature from around the world, earlier my writing style used to change from time to time and resembles the genre/style I was reading at that moment. Example: If I was reading modern English plays, you could expect my stories in form of plays. If it is poem, then for few months I will only write poems. It helped me grow, in a way, as a writer.
I find inspiration in every little thing, a smiling couple on train, pain of Syrian war or beauty of Mother Nature, everything inspires me to write

6. Do you think this achievement is solely because of you or you wish to share credits?

Aparna:
Like I keep saying - Only you are responsible for your failures, no one else; but your success is never yours; if you are successful, always thank people who helped you. I have quite a list of people who refused to give up on me and constantly inspired and encouraged me to write. Top of the list would be my mother and my husband, who didn’t let me quit at any stage. My brother, Abhiraj, and my sister, Surabhi, for encouraging me. My friends Raghav and Jatan who told me to not lose heart and write, also Shweta, Arun,Ashu for being the pillar throughout my life. Rini, Garima, Rachna, Meher, for constantly backing me up and Ava, Roxanne, Laly for lifting me up, everyday. And finally team at Srishti Publishers and distributors - Arup Bose, for believing in the story and Stuti for editing and cleaning it up.

7. Give us a glimpse of your book in 30-40 words.

Aparna:
25 years of Ashwin Jamwal’s life, in which he gradually became the most powerful man on earth, were orchestrated by master manipulator, Hades. Hades made him powerful only to sacrifice him, in the end, and claim the ultimate authority

8. What was the toughest and easiest thing about writing, ‘Ashvamedha: The Game of Power’?

Aparna:
Easiest thing - Writing the story as it flows/plays in the head.
Toughest - Validating facts, checking the possibilities, research, and editing.

9. What message do you wish to convey through this book?

Aparna:
There are many messages in the book, on life and discipline, right vs wrong. But the message about our innate need to control even at the smallest level, stays through out

10. What do you think about the writing industry these days? Do you think becoming a full-time writer is an advisable option?

Aparna:
There is no denying of the fact that Indian readership has increased; with introduction of “pop fiction” many relatable stories in easy writing styles are available for young readers, by new authors every year. Publishing industry also grew in last decade, many formats have been introduced and purchase is mostly online, besides self publishing gave platform for writeprenuers, allowing writers to, write publish and market their books on profit sharing basis. Unlike earlier times, writing started to become full time profession for some. But by in large, it is still a difficult market and readers prefer to borrow books to read than actual purchase.

11. Tell us something about your future projects. Are you writing anything at the moment?

Aparna:
I have written a book called Rijisha, I am editing the same. It is loosely based on events that happened in United Kingdom between 1963-1965.


12. How has the reader-reaction been? Have you received any criticism so far? Please share that with us.

Aparna:
The reaction is mostly positive, even from people who do not read thrillers. I have not received any criticism per se, couple of readers wanted different ending.

13. How do you feel when someone disagrees with something you say or have written?

Aparna:
First instinct is defend, because there is a reason why something is part of the story and a lot of thought goes in writing it; if it is a research based argument then I validate. You as a writer, yourself, would agree, it doesn’t always feel nice when someone disagrees with what you have written.

14. What is your least favourite part of the writing process?

Aparna:
Validation. Since the thriller novels require lots of reading and research, arguments and counter arguments, arriving at a conclusion and validating the facts and possibilities, takes a lot of time afterwards, often causing confusion. Though I love reading academic papers. :)

15. Any tips for budding writers?

Aparna:
Publishing industry is booming, if you have knack for writing, write. It requires patience but never give up.

16. How important is the role of an editor according to you?

Aparna:
Editor plays a major role. He/She knows the current readers’ profile inside out, and would help you mould and write the story in a way that is understandable to the readers.

17. Do you think reviewers play a pivotal role in influencing the fate of the book?

Aparna:
Yes. Not only book but anything related to art, literature and creativity. Reviewers and influencers help getting new readership/audience.

18. Why and how did you choose Srishti Publishers for your book? How has the experience been?

Aparna:
Srishti chose me. Let the truth be told, I am new author, who wrote a book in less popular genre. The book synopsis was shortlisted by two publishers only, and the reason I went ahead with Srishti was their politeness and professionalism. They keep me updated throughout, while evaluating the book. It has been such a wonderful experience being associated with the team. They are professional, supportive and deal with the authors with patience and so much love

19. How does it feel to be interviewed by me? *basically the interviewer wishes to hear praises* *haha*

Aparna:
And praises you deserve. It is an absolute honour for a new author like me to be interviewed by seasoned author and blogger, such as you and we can see that from the way the entire interview is framed - questions are, crisp to the point yet meaningful and engaging. I thoroughly enjoyed answering each and every question. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to connect to the readers

20. Oh thank you! I am overwhelmed. Anything that you would like to tell us? Your favourite writers? Your hobbies? Or just some sneaky peaky details?

Aparna:
A list of favourite writers!! I have ‘my reading epoch’ where in I would binge read a particular author or style. It can be as vast as- Russian Literature (all periods) to a particular author (Latest binge, John Grisham) or a subject (Life in Afghanistan) or even a style (romantic poetry). Reading and writing are the two things I love to do most.

Wow! So we have come to an end of this awesome session.


Description

"You have to dethrone a powerful man to become the most powerful. I was itching to defeat the single most powerful person, but there wasn't any. I was left with only one choice — to create one."
Little does Ashwin Jamwal know that the last twenty-five years of his life have been controlled by a master manipulator, who wanted to make him the most powerful man on earth, though for a reason! Ashwin steps up to take oath as the youngest Prime Minister of India and is unknowingly thrown into a vortex of power and authority as the entire world is threatened by a faceless enemy — Hades.
The world starts to look up to Ashwin as the savior, but he was just a pawn, reared only to be sacrificed in the end.
A story of greed, lies, deceptions, manipulations and corruption, Ashvamedha is a thriller revolving around the infamous game of power in a maddening bid to seek absolute control.


Buying Links: Amazon | Infibeam | Sapna

Readers, let’s be kind to the writer and buy the book soon. Do share your feedback with me once you read Ashvamedha.

Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. you have put up some nice questions in front of her.. a good read this post is..

    ReplyDelete

badge